Dr. Nicolas A. Karakatsanis is a Senior Research Scientist at the Translational and Molecular Imaging Institute (TMII) at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mt Sinai Health System, located at New York, NY, USA. Since July 2015, he is a member of the Cardiovascular Imaging Lab led by the Director of the TMII, Prof. Zahi Fayad.
Dr Karakatsanis is also certified from the American Board of Science in Nuclear Medicine (ABSNM) with a specialty in Nuclear Medicine Physics and Instrumentation and a Senior Member of the IEEE Society.
Nicolas is aiming to enhance the diagnostic, prognostic and theranostic value of pre-clinical and clinical Positron Emission Tomography (PET) images as well as the treatment response monitoring capabilities for cardiovascular, oncologic and neurologic diseases. For that purpose, he is currently developing clinically feasible and truly quantitative PET/CT and PET/MR imaging methodologies, using:
- PET/CT as well as simultaneous PET/MR state-of-the-art clinical tomographic scanners and software
- novel and clinically adoptable whole-body dynamic PET acquisition protocols
- multi-parametric dynamic dual-tracer PET/MR cardiovascular imaging methods
- efficient whole-body PET tracers kinetic modeling analysis coupled with robust kinetic parameter estimation techniques to enhance PET signal quantification at the voxel level
- advanced 4D parametric PET/CT and PET/MR image reconstruction algorithms for quantitative imaging in oncology, cardiovascular and brain imaging
- innovative respiratory and cardiac non-rigid motion estimation and correction techniques within and after image reconstruction,
- synergistic PET/MR image reconstruction for efficient partial volume error (PVE) correction
- Time-of-Flight (TOF), Continuous Bed Motion (CBM) Resolution Modeling (PSF) technologies for the benefit of static and dynamic whole-body and cardiovascular PET/CT and PET/MR imaging, and
- NECR-based PET dosage optimization tailored for clinical PET/CT and PET/MR imaging applications
Previously, Dr Karakatsanis was appointed as a Postdoctoral Research Associate at Geneva University Hospital (Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève, HUG) for the period between January 2014 and July 2015. There he had joined the PET Instrumentation and Neuroimaging laboratory (PINlab) led by Dr. Habib Zaidi, honorary professor also at the University Medical Center of Groningen (UMCG) in Netherlands.
He also maintains an active and close collaboration with the Tomographic Image Reconstruction and Analysis (TIRA) lab led by Dr Arman Rahmim, Assistant Professor of Radiology and Electrical and Computer Engineer at Johns Hopkins University. He had been appointed at Johns Hopkins University Hospital as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow from February 2011 to December 2013.
Furthermore, he is working closely with the Nuclear Imaging Medical lab (NIMlab) led by Dr George Loudos, Assistant Professor at the Biomedical Engineering Department of the Technical Educational Institute of Athens, Greece.
Nicolas A. Karakatsanis, PhD
Electrical and Computer Engineer | Senior Research Scientist
Cardiovascular Imaging Laboratory | Translational and Molecular Imaging Institute
Department of Radiology | Icahn School of Medicine at Mt Sinai
Nicolas A. Karakatsanis, PhD
Cardiovascular Imaging Laboratory (Fayad Lab)
Translational and Molecular Imaging Institute
1470 Madison Ave, 1st Floor, TMII
New York, NY, 10029, USA